is in memory of more than
300 men and boys
who lost their lives in accidents at
Ackton Hall Colliery 1873 - 1985
Featherstone Main Colliery 1868 - 1935
Snydale Colliery 1863 - 1965
Coal production began from the Haigh Moor Seam in 1895 and from the Silkstone Seam in 1897. In 1900 there was a visit from the British Association. The booklet printed to accompany the visit gives the output at 2,700 tons per day, the mine employed 2,200 men and boys and 160 horses, and owned 1,600 railway wagons. This photo was printed in the booklet.
The booklet described the new screening plant where hand pickers removed lumps of stone and shale from the coal, and the coal from the three seams was kept apart and sorted into different sizes.
As the underground workings got further away from the shafts in Featherstone it was decided to sink another shaft at Ackworth and install a ventilating fan. Sinking commenced in 1912.
By 1924 the pit was at its peak employing 1,940 men underground and 636 on the surface. This photo shows one of the more than 2,500 workers, one of the 1,600 coal wagons and one of the 160 horses and pit ponies.
In 1924 a memorial was erected in the pit yard to commemorate the miners who left to fight in the war. The photos below show the unveiling ceremony and the inscription.